Monday 29 October 2007

Tower Ridge on Ben Nevis






This route on Ben Nevis is by far one of my favourite in Scotland. I enjoy the feeling of remoteness, exposure and the definite alpine feel about this route. This was the first time I climbed this route in the summer but I have made an accent in the winter of 2004. The terrain was very different this time compared to when it was covered in a substantial snow build up so route finding was not as slick as I had hoped but we still made good progress. My climbing partner was Tom, a new trainee at the Ice Factor. This was his 2nd scramble since moving to Scotland (his first being curved ridge with me on Buachaille Etive Mor a month before), so Tom did find the experience rather scary due to the exposure and the terrain however he claims it was his best day out to date. This also was the first time he had been on Ben Nevis so we finished at the very summit where we enjoyed a celebratory shot of hot chocolate in the shelter then descended back down via the zig-zags.

No comments: